Africa, if you can imagine, is a little different than America. Here are some of the cultural differences I have noticed.
- The way the women are treated here is very different. "Women are for the kitchen." Thats the way one guy put it. When we are invited to someones home we sit down at the table and a woman comes with a pitcher of water and a bowl to wash our hands. They generally start with Roger or me since we are wazungu (white) I guess. The table is already generally set in several bowls. At this time they uncover the food and we fill up our plates. The food is generally the same no matter where you go. We usually had rice, either peas or beans, some kind of beef and sometimes chicken (both of which were not at all tender and had bits of bones, tendons and who knows what else), and fresh fruit (pineapples, bananas, mangos, oranges, avocado and cucumber) which is awesome! The meal is served with a soda or water and at night is served with chai! When we were on the road and entering into peoples houses we ate this meal twice a day. Breakfast is a chapati (a tortilla type thing), a boiled egg and a slice of bread served with none other than chai. Anyway, when the women meet you they do a little dip out respect and sometimes bow all the way on their knees. They clean up after the men (which tend to be pretty lazy by now). Everything here is about respect and the women and young people seem to get the blunt end of it.
2 comments:
Well after reading this I must say I am glad I am not an African woman! ha! That fresh fruit sounds amazing! Really, I was thinking about what you wrote... It's pretty cool that the African woman are about respect and are so submissive. It's a little over board. Then I thought about us in the states we are not respectful to men at all. I mean I know thier are Chritain women out there that are submissive and respectful to their husband...but not all men in general. Just a reality check I guess...
What do they women wear there? Brother,I miss you and am so proud to be called your friend!
yea its true. they go OVERBOARD! but its kinda convicting to see. not just with women but how they treat ministers. pastors are paid very well here and are very respected. its completely opposite in the states. in all honesty, i have carried my bible like 2 times. im like bottom of the totem pole here as far as status goes but as soon as we get out of the car about 5 people rush up and take our bags and bibles and will hold them as long as we need them to (it gets easy to soak up if youre not careful). it really adds merit to john bevere's honors reward i think! it is interesting to see how things are on the other side of the world. the women either wear african clothes or just a t-shirt and always a dress. usually some kind of hat on there head or material in their hair. there are several muslims tho so those women dress up like the iraq ones you see on tv. ha. miss you too. love you and hope things are going good back home
Post a Comment